AstroDMx Capture for Linux
******** November 16 2018 - Updates in Progress ********
This site is currently being updated, the updates should be complete by Tuesday 20th November. Various links may not work or there could be information missing until the updates have been completed.
The new version of AstroDMx Capture (0.50.1) can be downloaded now but please check back after Monday 19th November to see any additional technical information.
All software on this site has been written by Nicola Amanda Mackin FRAS.
The downloading and or use of this software means that the downloader and or user agrees to abide by this agreement. The software is provided on an AS IS basis without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including fitness for any particular purpose. In no event shall the copyright holder be liable for any damages of any kind, whether in contract, tort or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the software, its use, or any other dealings with the software.
In plain words, you use this software entirely at your own risk and you agree that the copyright holder provides no warranty of any kind and will not be liable in any way for anything arising from the use of the software. The software may not be re-distributed, repackaged or sold. If you do not agree with this agreement, then you do not have permission to download or use the software.
Any procedures suggested on this website should be used carefully and will be at the users risk. Performing these procedures implies acceptance that the responsibility is with the user and the author of this website will not be held responsible for any problems arising from the use of these procedures.
The screenshot is of AstroDMx Capture displaying a live preview from the ASI178MC running in 16-bit mode. AstroDMx is mapping the 16-bit stream onto the preview screen by using one of the new 16-bit to 8-bit transforms available in 0.50.1.
The colour scheme has been inherited from the standard desktop theme.
The latest version of AstroDMx Capture for Linux is 0.50.1. The software is distributed in three alternative packages and can be downloaded by clicking the following links.
- astrodmx_capture version 0.50.1 - Debian Installer (DEB)
- astrodmx_capture version 0.50.1 - RPM Installer (RPM)
- astrodmx_capture version 0.50.1 - Manual Installer
The manual installer's tarball contains a readme file which explains how to install the software. The RPM and DEB can be installed in the usual way (either via the GUI or via the command-line). If the options to start AstroDMx Capture do not appear in the system's menus then logout and log back in. The software can be uninstalled by using the following standard procedure:
- Fedora: yum remove AstroDMx_Capture
- Debian: dpkg --remove astrodmx_capture
Changelog (version 0.50.1)
- Full support for the Atik 314L
- Full support for the Atik 314E
- Full support for the Atik 320E (Colour)
- Other 16-bit Atik cameras should work More Information
- Improved support for the ZWO ASI178MC
- FITS Support with configurable FITS Metadata
- Added Non-destructive display controls (Gamma, Contrast and Brightness) More Information
- Added additional 16-bit to 8-bit display transforms (Linear, Gamma Log and Inverse Hyperbolic Sine) More Information
- Added Endpoint Control More Information
- Added filter wheel exposure ratios More Information
- Long exposure indicator now shows hours, minutes and seconds
- ROI chip position is now shown in the UI
- Capture window can now be minimised More Information
- Start Capture, Pause and Stop are now available via keyboard shortcuts More Information
- Other keyboard shortcuts are available by pressing the CTRL key More Information
- Significant improvements to the realtime calibration system. More Information
- The Heartbeat function has been renamed to Connection Manager More Information
- New UI to control camera timeouts. More Information
- Added a custom ROI resolution UI.
- Added function to make AstroDMx startup at the size it was when closed. More Information
- Files now output with zero padded dates. More Information
- Various defaults changed More Information
- Various UI changes and improvements
- Significant performance improvements throughout AstroDMx
- ZWO SDK updated to 1.13.0930
- Added System information UI
- Significant improvements to the debugging mode. More Information
- Several information messages added which can be disabled by clicking "Don't show again"
- One click controls added to easily scale the live preview to the UI or to show the live preview at 100%
- Various bug fixes and other changes and improvements
- Removed the dark theme compatibility mode, the UI style now fully inherits from the system theme
- The main UI now shows the current time in the title bar
- The main UI shows the ADC bit-depth and operating bit-depth in the status bar
- The main UI shows frame capture information in the status bar
- Added, check for new version function
- AstroDMx version numbering has been changed to use a three digit set instead of the previous four
Changelog (version 0.10.2.0)
- Full support for the QHY-5L-II MONO
- Full support for the QHY-5L-II COLOUR
- Other QHY cameras should work but have not been tested
- Histogram Added. The histogram supports both Linear and Logarithmic scales and shows channels in RGB combined, Luminance, RGB Average, Red, Green, Blue or Greyscale.
- Histogram image saved as a TIFF file
- Automatic Exposure, Automatic Gain and Automatic White Balance improvements (If supported by camera)
- Frame integration now works for all cameras operating in 8-bit modes
- Improvements to the camera log file
- Improvements to the over-exposure markers
- Over-exposure markers now have a sensitivity control
- Improvements to the Reticle
- Custom colours now allowed for the over-exposure markers and the reticle
- Right-click to reset controls now works for the exposure control
- Reset all controls implemented
- Long exposure countdown indicator improvements
- Long exposures are now cancelled before the new exposure is set
- Installers now create menus to launch the software
- Detailed debugging mode added - which can be invoked from the menus or manually by passing -D to the astrodmx binary
- Status area now shows the connected camera's bit-depth and calibration frame status
- Added a dark theme compatibility mode - if you are using a dark theme and the controls are still light then this option will force the controls to be dark. This option is only works with dark themes.
- Bug fixes and other improvements
Changelog (version 0.9.11-18)
- Now allows dark and flat field calibration to be used simultaneously
- Improvements to the long exposure countdown indicator
- Bug fixes
Changelog (version 0.9.11-15)
- Initial Release
The latest version of AstroCrop for 1.1.0, Engine Version: 1.0.3 and can be downloaded by clicking the following link:
Aspect Ratio Corrector
The latest version of Aspect Ratio Corrector for Windows is 1.0 and can be downloaded by clicking the following link. Although there is no native Linux version, the Windows version runs perfectly under Wine.